2008 MLB Draft
results - Tim Beckham No. 1 by Tampa Bay
It's that time of the year again, the 2008 MLB draft is
underway and here are the early results. The number one pick
this year was Tim Beckham, taken by the Tampa Bay Rays. Mock
drafts had Beckham, a shortstop from Griffin High School in
Griffin, Georgia, as the top pick, so no surprises here. Pedro
Alvarez, the third baseman from Vanderbilt, was selected No. 2
to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Alvarez entered the season as the top
player, talent-wise, in the Draft, and even though he missed a
chunk of the season after suffering a broken hamate bone in his
right hand, his status hasn't suffered. While his timing and
strength have been slow in fully returning, most are confident
it will and point to a long track record of success for Alvarez.
The third pick in the 2008 MLB Draft was Eric Hosmer, from
American Heritage High School in Plantation, Fla., to the Kansas
City Royals. Here are the rest of the picks in the 2008 MLB
4. Baltimore takes U. San Diego LHP Brian
5. San Francisco takes FSU C Buster Posey. Posey graduated from
Georgia’s Lee Co. HS.
6. Florida takes Patriot (Ca.) HS C Kyle Skipworth.
7. Cincinnati takes Miami 1B Yonder Alonso.
8. Chicago (AL) takes Georgia SS Gordon Beckham.
9. Washington takes Missouri RHP Aaron Crow.
10. Houston takes Stanford C Jason Castro.